Tackling College Homework In Phonetics: 5 Effective Techniques
Phonetics is a highly practical field and can seem a little complex when you’re first introduced to it. Here is a guide on how to make your homework easier.
- Self- teach: Chances are, your professor doesn’t have enough time to explain intensively every little detail over and over until you thoroughly understand your curriculum clearly. That could either be because the lecture isn’t long enough, or your professor simply cannot deliver communicative messages clearly. Either way, you’re going to have to resort to using the internet as your general guide to self-teaching.
- Videos: Popular streaming websites have plenty of phonetics and phonology introductions that can help you immensely with your assignment. Do not stick to one user’s explanation and try to find others explaining the same lesson. YouTube isn’t exactly a scholarly website, and it’s more than possible for a user to have misunderstood a certain ideology. Be sure to check the comments as well to see if someone has posted corrections.
- Exercises: If you use your search engine to look up “Phonetics homework” you will find a thousand PDF documents of worksheets with answers. You can try to solve some online problems before proceeding to do yours.
- Phonetics and Phonology: If this is an introductory course, it is quite essential to know the difference between phonetics and phonology because they can get in the way if you’re confused. Phonetics is more about studying acoustic sounds in a language, whereas phonology is broader, as it’s concerned with the sound patterns across languages. However, you should still look up the difference yourself for a more intensive explanation.
- Online Help: If all else fails, you can always resort to someone who will is glad to teach you through the internet for a fee. This is especially ideal because it hits two birds with one stone; on one hand you will have a much better understanding of your syllabus, on the other you can have someone do your assignments with you. Most services also offer offline help; meaning, if you come across something you’re not familiar with after your online session, you can still contact your private tutor for further help.
Plenty of students also consider online homework services, which do nothing but your work for you. We strongly advise you avoid shortcuts as they can backfire strongly during midterms and finals. Remember not to let your assignments accumulate. We hope this article was of help. Good luck!